Friday, March 20, 2020

Homeward Bound .... tips for working from home.

My kids were discussing on our family "Whats App" group their new life of working from home. Being the sensitive Dad, I told them to get over their first world problems, put on their superman underwear and just do it. Since I have been working from home for nearly 6 years, I was a little short on empathy.  As I reconsider my lack of real encouragement, I decided to maybe try to be helpful. Also, I have some things to learn. I have started this blog to share my experiences and what I have found helpful with the hope of getting feedback from others. Since we are in a real crises with Corona Virus (Wuhan virus) world wide and many are having to work from home or in lock down, I thought lets make some lemonade from these lemons. Below is what I have found helpful. What about you?  Maybe you are retired and working from home or a stay at home parent or other caregiver. Tell us what you think is helpful for you.

1. Get dressed - Not just your sweats, yoga pants and workout cloths but similar to what you would work in. It just helps me have the right frame of mind (ok if you wear a uniform then obviously not that ... wear something that makes you feel smart)

2. Take a moment before work and plan your day. Have a daily goal or daily goals. Think through what you are going to do. I don't always do this. When I do I am always more productive and happier

3.  Have an office that is your work place. This helps with boundaries. If you don'e have a separate room, designate a space as "When I am here I will be working".

4. Have regular (daily) meetings with other employees, bosses or people who report to you. Having a daily "stand up" meeting is very helpful for me. "Stand-up" just means this: if a several  people were meeting  in a room the meeting needs to be short enough to do standing up. Each shares what they did yesterday and what they plan to do today. Save longer discussions on issues or problems for other meeting times.

5. Sharpen your saw (Covey, 7 habits..) whether at home or the office this is always great advice. Being new to work at home you may find yourself with not enough to do. Do the important things but may not be as urgent. Clean up your email, organize your computer desktop, delete unused apps on your phone, write that email you have been procrastinating, revisit your job description and work objectives.

6. Encourage someone. Call, audio conference or video conference people. You can just say "I was thinking about you and wanted to see how your were doing." 

What else?

No comments:

Post a Comment